Oatmeal with Poached Berries.
Happy Monday! I've got the best breakfast recipe for you. And it's surprisingly good for you, too, although it taste like the delectable nectar of the gods. If you wake up craving something sweet and fruity, this is an excellent healthy go-to that will leave you feeling pumped and full of energy all day!
Note: This recipe was inspired by this recipe by Giada from her book, Giada's Feel Good Food. However, I swapped the bulgur for oatmeal because A) Bulgur sounds weird and B) Since I am not a prairie girl with barrels of bulgur lying around, I decided to go with something I actually know how to cook: oatmeal. Not a mistake, people. Not a mistake.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup organic whole, hulled strawberries
- 1 cup organic mixed berries (I love raspberries, blueberries and blackberries)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp. agave
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1. In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water (with a healthy dose of salt) to a boil over medium heat.
2. Add the 1 cup of oats, stirring frequently, for about 6-7 minutes. Most of the water should become absorbed and the consistency of the oatmeal should turn creamy.
3. Once the oatmeal is cooked evenly through, set aside and place a lid on the saucepan to keep heat in.
4. In another medium saucepan, combine the strawberries, mixed berries, orange juice and agave. Over medium-high heat, bring the mixture to a boil.
5. Once mixture is boiling, lower the heat until the mixture simmers and cook until fruit is soft, about 10 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat.
6. To dish up, serve the poached fruit on top of the oatmeal and serve immediately. Crazy wonderful taste delight is in your future.
Seriously, this breakfast will be on your mind for the rest of the week. I dare you to make it, because if you do I bet you'll make it twice!