I've got another recipe for you this week! Since it's FREEZING outside (literally, its well below freezing temperatures today), I've been inside a lot, cooking and baking up a storm in my mini-kitchen. This is SUCH a great recipe, and so stinkin' easy. I don't claim that it's the healthiest, but we all like to veg out a bit when it's arctic outdoor, right? This is rich and comforting and indulgent, and isn't that a little bit necessary during the howling-cold month of January? Pair this with a nice tomato soup and an evening all to your Netflix, and you could battle me for the hibernation crown of glory. I invite you to try it.
- 2 slices of whole-wheat bread
- 2 slices of cooked bacon
- 2 slices of mozzarella cheese (although I suspect gruyere or Vermont cheddar would be to die for, too)
- 1/2 green apple, sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp. butter
Don't love the idea of apple on your grilled cheese? Sub in one of these additions in its place:
- Avocado (to die for!)
- Portabello Mushrooms
- Roasted Eggplant
- Prosciutto (my mouth is watering here)
- Sliced Tomato
- Artichoke Hearts
1. You've made grilled cheese before, right? For those of you too healthy to make this on a weekly monthly basis, I'll give you a quick refresher. Drizzle a tiny bit of olive oil in a skillet, and turn heat to medium-low. The lower the temp, the slower it cooks, but this is how you achieve the coveted oozing-cheese situation.
2. As the pan heats up, butter one side of each slice of the wheat bread.
3. Thinly slice half of your green apple (my husband likes this with a red apple, too, so pick your fave and go for it!)
4. Once the pan is heated, place the first slice of bread, butter-side down, into the pan. Place a slice of cheese on top of the bread, then layer the slices of bacon (broken in half), and then the slices of apple. Finish with another slice of cheese and then top the layers with the other side of the bread (butter side up).
5. Let the sandwich cook for 2-4 minutes per side, or until the bottom is golden-brown (just watch to make sure you don't burn it.)
6. Flip it. Repeat. Stop drooling.
7. Inhale sandwich. The end.
If you would pay for it at Panera, then it is worth attempting to re-create, right?
Stay warm, friends!