This is the 3rd time that I've done Whole30 and I learn more with each round. This particular recipe is a great one to have on hand for those busy weekday mornings when you need to grab something to-go quickly. I like to make a batch of these on Sunday afternoon and then have them for the weekday mornings. These are especially helpful for Stevie, because he is either commuting to Atlanta to work or to the airport to travel - it's really hard to do Whole30 when your work schedule is crazy! But having things like that all ready to go can really save breakfast/rush hour.
- 10-12 eggs
- 1.5 cups chopped vegetables
- 1 cup cooked hash browns
- 1/2 cup protein of your choice (bacon or chicken sausage are my preferences)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
1. Heat oven to 350.
2. Dice and saute the vegetables until soft, then set aside.
3. Cook and dice protein of your choice. If I'm using bacon, I just kind of tear it apart, but if I'm using chicken sausage I chop it up into half-moons. Set aside.
4. Cook the hash browns according the the package.
5. Whisk together the eggs with the salt and pepper. I say 10-12 because it depends on how big your eggs are.
6. Spray a a 12-cup muffin tin with oil.
7. Layer in each muffin tin: 1 large spoonful of hash browns, 1 large spoonful of vegetables, 1 small spoonful of protein and then top off each muffin cup with the whisked eggs until it's just under the fill line.
8. Place in the oven and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. You will know they are finished once the tops are slightly browned.
9. You can keep in the refrigerator and reheat in the mornings in the microwave or toaster oven - these are a great way to start the day, especially on the go!
- My favorite vegetables/protein combos are: 1. spinach, onions and bacon or 2. peppers, onions and chicken sausage.
- If you don't have hash browns, you can also shred potatoes and use that in place (a great tip from my friend Savannah :)
- If you want to make these non-Whole30 style, they are even more fabulous with less eggs and some half and half. You could use about 8 eggs, 3/4 cup half and half, and of course, top each muffin cup with shredded cheese. Let's be honest, they taste better this way.
P.S. - Looking for more to-go breakfast options? Check out my freezer-friendly Breakfast Burritos :)
P.P.S. - More Whole30 recipes here!